BACK to THE 1850s...
In 1835, the Fort Dodge area was scouted by Dragoons (mounted infantry) and chosen as the perfect spot for a military lookout. In 1850, construction of the fort began. The storekeeper or “sutler” for the fort, William Williams later acquired the property and used it as a starting point to plot out the town of Fort Dodge.
Now, in 2018, we remember the Fort's history with our replica stockade and frontier village, featuring original buildings from the mid-1800s to the mid-1900s, including a one room schoolhouse and an original 1850s log cabin.
Travel back in time and join us in celebrating our town's frontier heritage.
We are a non-profit museum and work hard to keep our museum in great shape. To help us in making history come alive, please consider supporting us.